Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Valentine's Love Poems: One Last Poem

To close out this series of Valentine's Day love poems, here is one of my own favorites. Sending this out to my own sweet, ornery man:



To My Dear and Loving Husband
by Anne Bradstreet (1612-1672)


If ever two were one, then surely we.

If ever man were loved by wife, then thee.

If ever wife was happy in a man,

Compare with me, ye women, if you can.

I prize thy love more than whole mines of gold,

Or all the riches that the East doth hold.

My love is such that rivers cannot quench,

Nor ought but love from thee give recompense.

Thy love is such I can no way repay;

The heavens reward thee manifold, I pray.

Then while we live, in love let’s so persever,

That when we live no more, we may live ever.


Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

5 comments:

  1. Poems were lovely this week Sue. Happy Valentines Day.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite poems. I am such a romantic & I have been so very blessed with an amazing marriage. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your recent posts!
    You are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this poem and have taught it
    Love this blog
    Where is your shop

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...